Information » Family & Relationships » Being in a Relationship » Going Out
- Going out with somebody means you are in a romantic relationship with that person. Every relationship is different so try not to compare your relationship to others or let anyone else decide who you should go out with.
- The right relationship should make you feel good about yourself. You should feel relaxed, confident and happy with that person.
- There is no rush to get into a relationship with somebody. Wait until you feel ready and mature enough to be in a relationship before you get involved with anyone.
- A good friendship can provide a solid base for a successful relationship as you will already know that person well.
- Asking somebody out can be a nerve-wracking experience. If you already know each other, this may help you judge the best way to approach them.
- Everybody is different and there is no right or wrong way to ask someone out.
Meeting new people
- You can meet new people at school, college, and after-school clubs or simply by socialising.
- The Internet is could be a good way to meet new people, especially if you are shy or live in an isolated area. But there are certain dangers associated with meeting people online, so treat this with caution. See section: Online Relationships.
When you’ re together
- Relationships are based on mutual respect and trust
- Being in a relationship with somebody means you are committed to them. Being faithful will build trust between you and your partner.
- Kissing and affection is a natural part of any relationship, but be aware of being overly affectionate in public as might make other people around you feel uncomfortable!
- It is up to you how you spend your time together – you don’ t have to feel like you should be doing the same as other couples. Your relationship is unique to you so do whatever you both enjoy doing.
- Take your time to get to know somebody. Enjoy the time you spend together and don’ t rush anything
- Not every relationship has to involve sex. Many couples simply enjoy being together. However sex is more enjoyable in a relationship as long as it is done safely
- Don’ t feel pressured into having sex with your partner if you don’ t feel comfortable. If your relationship is special and made to last, your partner will wait until you are ready.
- It can be an upsetting and frustrating experience to argue with your partner, but falling out is a normal and healthy part of any relationship. It allows you to express your feelings to each other, keeping the communication channels open and airing any problems, rather than bottling them up.
- However arguments can sometimes be avoided by making time for each other. Balance your time carefully between yourself, your friends and your partner
- If you are having more arguments than you think you should and it is hard to talk to your partner, talk to someone else you are close to. It may help to put problems into perspective and provide new solutions.
- Remember - good communication is vital to any relationship. It is important to share your feelings in order to understand each other better.